Old May 31st 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Richard Polhill

Default Do other cameras have built-in feature similar to "Color accent"scene in some Canon DCs?

RockyZ wrote:
On 30 May 2007 20:21:28 -0700, wrote:

I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
(P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
more convenient.
Thanks for info.

While it's a fun feature to have (I have a camera with it) for a party for
people to play with it, or just playing around with it myself when bored, I
really don't see it as any kind of necessity. "Color Accent" is a gimmick to
bring attention to a subject when your normal photography and composition skills
aren't good enough to accomplish that task. No different than photographers that
have to stoop to effects like zoom-blur or radial-blur or even (groan)
fog-filters with a clear central area. You might as well just smear some grease
around the edges of a clear filter to bring attention to your subject if you're
that desperate to have someone notice your mundane subjects and mediocre
compositions. I've never used the "Color Accent" in my camera other than to see
it work a few times. I guess I just can't lower myself to having to result to
using a cheap gimmick like other "photographers" use. The next thing you know
they'll be using something as ridiculous as that "LensBaby" toy in conjunction
with "Color Accent", revealing their total lack of talent even further -- a
scream of desperation.

Harsh but fair.

Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.