Old December 16th 03, 04:15 AM
Michael Benveniste

Default The future of APS

On 15 Dec 2003 17:28:46 -0800,
(Offshoreman) wrote:

Does anybody here know what the future lies in store for APS? Every
camera shop I go into nowadays has around 85-90% of its cameras being
digital and the rest virtually all 35mm. Only around 2-3 are APS
cameras, maybe 4.

The future is pretty bleak. I doubt you'll see any new significant
cameras, newer film scanners like the Minolta 5400 have

What are the manufacturers playing at? Are only Kodak and Canon
producing APS cameras now? Even with these the range has dwindled to a
handful! And what the heck are Fuji doing? Are they pulling out as
well? Are they all nuts or what?

I don't understand this. APS is SO convenient! I can understand why
digital is popular - I have a great Pentax digicam myself - but
digital isn't suitable for every photographic situation or even every
consumer. Many kids, women and seniors *HATE* the technical fiddling
you have to do with digital. They want something simple,
straightforward, that produces reliably good results. This is where
APS is on top. So why the decline? Granted, the photography snobs and
professionals will always choose 35mm over APS, but for the 'ordinary
Joe' APS can't be beaten. Especially now that prices for APS cameras
have fallen like a stone. Ah, but maybe the new 'throwaway' party
cameras are hitting the APS market badly! I doubt it - the disposable
cameras are basically pieces of crap with no zoom, no controls
whatsoever and a fixed, inbuilt film. Might be OK for parties and
'silly' photography but poor for anything remotely serious.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email