Old January 13th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Guy

Default advice on camera purchase for artwork

There is a lot of information on http://www.flaar.org/ about
photographing art, among other things. -Guy

dwolf wrote:
Hi Ed,

Well actually I lied about one thing.. I use a Olympus 5050 to shoot my
work.. ( Custom Furniture ) and I'm content
My neighbor is the artist and she's looking to upgrade from her old
point and shoot.

The easel would be a good idea... but she may not want to purchase it..
but it still comes back to a solid camera and gives you the best bang
for your buck, if there are just great shooters with simple good lens
that does not need to zoom much and does not need extra bells and
whistles.. and if I were to be tempted to upgrade my camera.. something
I use a tripod for...

Joel

"EAL" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:08:00 -0500, "dwolf"
wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a camera to shoot artwork I create.
My preferred way of shooting is to put the work on the wall.. set the
camera
on a tripod, use no flash and just use natural light.. I've had great
results this way in the past with cameras I have. So I prefer not to
get an
SLR, (just because)
I was very interested in the Olympus sp-560, but realized it may be
a very
good camera, but If I'm only going to use it for this one purpose,
than a
zoom is not something I need nor other bells and whistles. It's hard to
research cameras with the needs I am interested in... So I ask here..
Thanks
in advance

Joel

How big is this artword? If not that big, then it might be a lot
easier to use a copy stand. Lie artwork on easel, mount camera above
it pointing down. Set up lights as required. Now all your shots are
square, and lighting is consistent.

So any digicam with a tripod mount should work. If you also need good
definition in the photos, then upgrade to a camera with a bigger
sensor.

If you have been getting great results before, why not just continue
the way you are?

Ed