Old November 16th 13, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

In article ,
DanP wrote:

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 05:57:47 UTC+1, RichA wrote:

Some people like the ability to add new memory. What's Apple charging
these days, $500 a gig?

I have looked at building a system capable of running OSX, search for
Hackintosh. Some configurations cost close to what Apple charge for the
equivalent.

If you want a top end laptop to match one of Apple's it will cost you the same.

DanP

Actually, I just checked the most common iMac configuration, and it's
$25 per gig. It's high-ish; always has been. But not a deal-breaker.
Yes, it would be nice if the computers were more configurable, but
given the target market, again not a deal breaker.

Some time ago, I set out to buy or configure a Windows computer the
equivalent in quality and configuration of the "expensive" $2500
MacPro. I quickly discovered it wasn't possible. Even as simple as the
case simply couldn't be purchased at any price. Internal components
were easier, but to duplicate the same features made the price really
ratchet up. When I was done... I'd spent the $2500. Adding software to
match the bundled stuff from Apple would have pushed it well past.

In laptops, I have a small but steady stream of customers who purchase
MacBook Pro's and run Windows on them. They need some piece of
Windows-specific software, but want the build quality and performance
of the Apple product. And, using software supplied by Apple, they can
dual-boot: Hold down a key to select which OS you want to boot. Best of
both worlds!