Old June 7th 14, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Sony's new A7s (12mp FF) why do you need a separate "recorder" to record HD and 4K video?

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 08:03:46 +0200, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
: On 29/05/2014 16:44, Whisky-dave wrote:
: On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 19:44:02 UTC+1, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
: On 27/05/2014 14:44, Whisky-dave wrote:
:
: (...)
:
: I wonder if that's why they are recording the new star wars movie on film.
:
: well I doubt they'd be using a SD card but perhaps the data rate is just too high to be practical.
:
:
:
: No. They shoot on film to achieve a certain look.
:
: A certain look is that it, a look that they can't use an effect or filter for is that it ? I just hope it's not the special grain/canvas look they used on the last 4-5 seasons of Battlestar Galatica, it looked really crap on upscalled DVD players.
:
: Most of that was shot on Sony F900 and F950 camera in HDCAM.
:
: So: no.
:
: Digital cinema has a
: range ways to deal with high data rates. SSD, RAID, etc. It's not really
: an issue other than cost. And Star Wars have enough budget to shoot
: whatever format they want.
:
: If it's not cost there must be another reason and I'm not convinced by the 'look' idea.
:
: http://www.indiewire.com/article/10-reasons-why-filmmakers-should-shoot-film-according-to-kodak

The comical thing about that list is that half of the ten are more compelling
as reasons *not* to use film. The "trust" argument, as they state it, is
particularly absurd.

Another comic touch is that the accompanying picture of the panel participants
is out of focus and needs a major white-balance correction. Perhaps the point
is that it wasn't shot on film.

Bob