Old June 2nd 14, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

Default Sony's new A7s (12mp FF) why do you need a separate "recorder"to record HD and 4K video?

On 29/05/2014 16:44, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 19:44:02 UTC+1, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
On 27/05/2014 14:44, Whisky-dave wrote:

(...)

I wonder if that's why they are recording the new star wars movie on film.

well I doubt they'd be using a SD card but perhaps the data rate is just too high to be practical.

No. They shoot on film to achieve a certain look.

A certain look is that it, a look that they can't use an effect or filter for is that it ? I just hope it's not the special grain/canvas look they used on the last 4-5 seasons of Battlestar Galatica, it looked really crap on upscalled DVD players.

Most of that was shot on Sony F900 and F950 camera in HDCAM.

So: no.

Digital cinema has a
range ways to deal with high data rates. SSD, RAID, etc. It's not really
an issue other than cost. And Star Wars have enough budget to shoot
whatever format they want.

If it's not cost there must be another reason and I'm not convinced by the 'look' idea.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/10-reasons-why-filmmakers-should-shoot-film-according-to-kodak

http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/Customers/Productions/index.htm