Old January 14th 18, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

On 1/14/2018 2:14 PM, Eco Clean wrote:
- Susan Bugher wrote:

" Instructions
Download the zip file, extract the entire archive and run. If you get
errors, you probably need to install the pretty ancient .NET framework
1.1. "

Hi Susan,
I know you are a regular on the a.c.f newsgroup so I appreciate that you
proofed the instructions and the Rasterbator web site.

I am on Windows 10, where I downloaded the Rasterbator_Standalone_1.21.zip
file and extracted it and then made a shortcut to the exe in my menu.

That worked. I have *never* installed (on purpose anyway) .NET Framework on
this machine as you and I both know .NET Framework is a PITA.

So I agree that a .NET dependency sucks, if it is real.
But I didn't add .NET Framework to make it work.

Maybe .NET Framework was already on my Win10 system?
I don't know.

per a quick Google "Latest Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 is already part
of Windows 10"

How do I tell what .NET Framework I have, if any?
Looking in CCleaner, it doesn't show up under Microsoft or under .NET.

If you REALLY, REALLY ca
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed

Maybe it's hidden? Or maybe Windows 10 comes with it?
I don't know, but the extracted EXE ran fine on Windows 10 without me doing
anything else but click on a shortcut to it.

The Rasterbator .exe is dated 2005 and requires NET framework 1.1
Below are a couple of similar apps that are also long in the tooth but
don't have that dependency. I opened them in Win7 but didn't try to
print anything.

Thanks Susan. I don't know how or why Rasterbator worked in Windows 10
without me adding anything. Does Windows 10 come with all the .NET
Framework that is needed?

apparently it does for that app.

How can I tell, on Windows 10, what .NET Framework already exists?

Seeabove. grin

Program: Posteriza
Company: E-presencia
Wa (Freeware)
http://www.posteriza.com/
get the zip file which contains the 620KB .exe file
http://www.posteriza.com/es/ficheros...riza_1.1.1.zip
Results go directly to your printer.

I will try that and report back. Thanks.

Program: PosteRazor
Author: Alessandro Portale (aportale)
Wa (Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/
A zip is here which contains the no-install .exe
https://newcontinuum.dl.sourceforge.net/project/posterazor/Binary%20Releases/1.5.2/PosteRazor-1.5.2-Win32.zip

Results must be saved as a PDF file for printing.

Thanks for the two additional choices to test, so I will try them, along
with inkscape that Jonathan Little suggested - and report back.
1) https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/
2) http://www.posteriza.com/es/index.php?lang=en_US
3) https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/

Thank you very much for being helpful as it's hard to communicate with so
many people and get everything right in the first pass!

So thanks for taking a second pass at the problem so that everyone learns
from all our combined efforts as it would be nice to have a single best
solution for free home creation and printing of posters that are larger
than the size of the paper in our home printers.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware (using WinXP-SP2, Win7professional-32 bit)
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.pricelesswarehome.org