Old January 24th 04, 07:59 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Default Road ruts with Jobo

Nick Zentena wrote:
Jean-David Beyer wrote:

I disagree. If there were an _inherent_ problem to the Jobo
processor (more precisely, its tanks and | or reels), then
_everyone_ would get these problems, and I do not. Many people use
them successfully, and

Me either. OTOH I haven't gone to the trouble of checking with a
densitometer. If I needed to use one to notice any problems I likely
wouldn't care about the difference.

With the obsolete pre-2509N reels, you sure did not need a densitometer!
I could see the non-uniformity around Zone V because the undesired
stripe was about 0.15 denser than the rest of the negatives. I attribute
that to the fact that the negatives tended to be closer together in the
center than at the edges (sheet film), but that may not have been the
explanation at all. It was true that the problem with the old reels
could be greatly reduced by using only 4 sheets in the 6-sheet reel. But
the 2509N reels hold the negatives somewhat better, and those clever
plastic plates tend to make the developer slosh in from the sides more
and less along the direction of rotation. I suspect that is really the
reason the results are so much better with the new reels, without proof.
I suppose I could try 6 sheets sometimes and leave out the plastic
plates and see if the problems recur. But I will probably never get
around to it.

I just used the densitometer when measuring film for calibration, and if
there were any systemic development variations over the film, the
densitometer would have seen them before my so-called calibrated-eyeball
would. ;-)

It has come to my attention that some people attempt developping
negatives in print (paper) tanks. Maybe there is a problem doing
that, but if you use the wrong tanks, you are on your own.

The difference between the 2800 print drums and the 2500 film drums
is the lid and centre column.

What reels do you use in the 2800 print drums? Or if you are not the
original poster, what reels do you suppose they use in their print drums?

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 2:50pm up 18 days, 2:15, 5 users, load average: 2.65, 2.38, 2.20