Old October 11th 12, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

On 11/10/2012 18:09, nospam wrote:
[]
windows 8 isn't out yet, but that's encouraging when it does ship,
assuming people actually migrate to it. from the reactions i've seen so
far, that's not a given.

anyway, it will still be awhile until apps support retina displays,
since there really isn't any demand for it, at least not yet. nearly
all windows pcs do not have a high resolution display, so why bother.

[]

Actually, Windows-8 /is/ out, but only to manufacturers and some others
- e.g. MSDN subscribers. That's the vanilla version without PC
manufacturers' bloat^H^H^H^H customisations. I have it running on a
couple of PCs here, and it has some really nice features (once I
restored a start menu!).

But I don't see much of a need to upgrade existing Windows-7 systems for
most users. Windows-8 is very similar to Windows-7 once a start menu is
restored, with the additional tile-based "Metro" applications on the
home screen. So far, I've not needed to run any of those. Both PCs I
have are without touch-sensitive screens.

I'm unsure what the display resolution limit is for high-end video cards
with Windows. I see an Nvida and other cards listed as up to 2560x1600
pixels, which is not far off 2880 x 1800.

I have been impressed with the display on the iPad3 (2048 x 1536
pixels), at least with its resolution, if not its accuracy with the
darker shades of grey! It's easier on the eye when reading text, and
the difference on images is just noticeable if you look closely.
--
Cheers,
David