Old March 13th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Differences in sensor "quality"

"Martin Brown" schreef in bericht
mrsgator88 wrote:

Back in the day, photographers would extol (or decry) the virtues (or
vices) of the various films on the market. In reading the posts here, I
haven't noticed any discussion about the subjective quality of the
various sensors

Oh but there are.
You only have to look at the Foveon vs Bayer religious wars here ;-)

Foveon the sensors were stacked and something in between to stop
the colors going to the other layers. How I have no clue.
But Foveon didn't make it.

And in addition there are a several of flavours of Bayer mask filter

Classical additive RG,GB

Most camera's are now RG, GB so that is probably the best ???
There probably are only slight differences between R- G- B-

Custom additive RG,EB (SonY) (where E is a different shade of green/cyan
they call emerald)

But this has not catched on either.

Classical subtractive CM,YG (some video sensors)

There were some picture camera's which had this setting, I would
think that with CMYG, there would be more sensitivity left for the
sensor. (Or more photon's) But this didn't catch on either.
(If my memory is correct the Canon G1 had this configuration.).

And lastly Fuji's interpolated sensor installed with pixels running
diagonally and interpolated.

Holding your camera turned in a 45 degree angle will give you
diagonal sensors as wel. This wil give a higer resolution in one direction,
but a lower resolution in the directions 90 degrees on that direction.
Fuji claimed that in our world the direction which fuji had the highest
resolution was also the direction that mattered. (I don't think so).

The distinction is more that very few amateur photographers know which
type of sensor mask is included in their camera. And so many other factors
affect image quality that it is largely irrelevant.

I totaly agree with that most filters are now RG GB they probably are
all very similar. So that processing is a bigger factor than the
RG GB and sensor together. (Offcourse taking sensors which are
developed years apart there is some difference).

So the filter is more important for the color than the sensor, but filters
are pretty much similar I guess.

ben

Regards,
Martin Brown