Old November 19th 04, 06:36 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Please advise on product photography. I list electronic test equipment
on my website. I have a 7 mega pixel camera. I just tried using a
white-white background for my pictures but after much effort I finally
realized that a very-white background is not the best solution.

To add to what has already been posted --

To drop out the background, Google sez:

http://www.owens-originals.com/Resou...cromatips.html

Search for 'blue screen' 'blue mask' 'green screen' ... the info is
out there, problem is finding the right search words: sometimes
you can only find the answer if you know the answer.

You can build a product lighting tent/box with some cheap fabric and
a couple lengths of 1x2". Cardboard and a can of white spray paint
will make all the light reflectors you will need.

I prefer using hot lights over flash. You don't need much light
so 100W/60W household bulbs work great. And you can see what you
are doing when positioning the lights.

Use a telephoto lens and shoot from far away, this will give you better
background coverage (er, you need less background, it can be farther
away from the product ...).

If you are not using a blue/green mask because you can't keep it far
enough away then use a neutral darkish grey background -- no color
cast and it won't mess up with the camera's meter.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com