Old September 28th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_4_]

Default Wet-clean your sensor, or just blow it off?

On 2009-09-28 10:55:16 -0700, eNo said:

While others speak highly of using a rocket blower to get dust off
their sensors, I've had nothing but mixed to bad results with anything
but wet cleaning. Here's one recent experience:

http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=669

~~~
eNo
http://esfotoclix.com

I have found it is always best to blow out the chamber first, then brush
with a chamber brush, and blow again before exposing the sensor.
A few puffs with the "rocket" and most loose dust will be gone.

How about using some sort of small vacuum cleaner in conjunction with the
blower? It seems to me no matter how you blow out the chamber, whether the
mirror is up or down, you're likely to be mostly just moving the dust around
unless you're using something to draw it out while it's circulating.

I don't have any such device in mind, but there must be something out there.

Using a chamber brush, by first blowing through the bristles puts a
charge on the brush and it picks up most of the loose dust in the
chamber. That minimizes dust in the chamber to land onto the low pass
filter.
Then I expose the sensor & low pass filter and check to see if that
will blow clean before resorting to a wet clean.

Savageduck