Old November 16th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
Grumpy AuContraire

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

John Navas wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:43:11 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
wrote in
:

"Helmsman3" wrote in message
. ..

So yes, the advancements of the P&S camera are definitely the death-knell
to the
DSLR. [ . . . ]

I'm afraid you have it all bass-ackwards. DSLRs have come down in price to
the point that they are pushing high-end compact cameras (I despise the
silly term "P&S") completely out of the market.

I'm sorry to see the "prosumer" level compacts go, but going they are. ...

Don't look now, but "prosumer" level compacts by Panasonic equipped with
superb Leica lenses are going strong.

Yes, I have a FZ10 which has served me well for the past three years.
Eventually, I will replace it but not until the capture ccd(s) are bigger.

Meanwhile, I'll use the FZ for routine photography and my old Leica M2
for real serious work...

JT