Old May 4th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Default Question about buying a d50 cheaply

Freedom55 wrote:

Note: I have found this NG is heavily biased towards Nikon-Canon and
often these folks can't see beyond their blinders.

That's because at least one of the groups you posted to,
rec.photo.equipment.35mm is heavily biased twoard 35mm.

Olympus had good offerings and good lenses, but no real exotic ones
until Nikon took their two year "vacation" to retool for autofocus
around 1986-1988.

At that time, Olympus tried to fill the void with some really excelent and
exotic lenses (oh, for that 24mm tilt/shift) and professional support
equivalent to Nikon's. It never really caught on and Olympus limped
along until they started making digital cameras.

Their only new SLR product was the OM-30 which was an OEM'ed piece of junk,
which was also OEM'ed as the Nikon FM-10, and two FE versions I've
forgotten the numbers of (FE-10, FE-20?) and sold as a bunch of
under $200 kits with lens by several large companies.

They did produce some interesting point and shoot cameras.

They are producing digital cameras that are well rated, but to most of
us here, that's irrelevant. Here we discuss 35mm cameras.

Because of that bias there really is nothing to discuss about Olympus
cameras except old ones.

It's also important to note that Olympus is not a camera company. Olympus
is an OPTICAL company that makes among many other things DIGITAL cameras.
They no longer make film cameras and it was never their primary business.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/