Old May 24th 04, 08:35 PM
Gordon Moat

Default MF future? ideal cameras?

Michael Benveniste wrote:

. . . . . . .

I think a low cost MF entry level camera is the key to attracting people
to MF photography. But where are the reliable under $1k new MF cameras?
The lack of ads for MF with only 10,000 or so sales worldwide, per major
brand, makes it hard to compete against a million+ nikon SLRs etc. ;-)

I think that's a losing tactic.

Medium format is inherently more expensive than 35mm. Nor has it been
a hotbed of technological innovation. I don't see any film format
taking back the innovation role from digital. Nor do most amateurs
need (or even perceive) the advantages of medium format.

That leaves a couple of niches where MF could succeed. The first is
as a professional tool. The second is as a luxury good. Neither
niche lends itself well to a low price strategy.

Excellent points, and I think this accurately reflects the market.

As a professional tool, MF is under attack from digital SLR's. In
order to hold on to this market, the MF manufacturers must give
professional photographers a competitive edge. Otherwise, the systems
built around smaller, less expensive formats will crowd them out.

Agreed, though it still amazes me that the MF manufactures, except perhaps
Mamiya, have so little presence in adverting to the professional market.

Turning to the luxury good strategy, you won't find "entry-level"
Ferraris, Rolexes or even Leicas. Occasionally, someone like Cadillac
will try something like the Cimarron, typically with disasterous
consequences.

Instead, to survive as a proider of luxury goods, you have to create
an aura of quality, exclusivity, and fashion. Leica and to a lesser
extent Rollei have all three. Hasselblad has the first two, but not
the third. Until the H1, 'blads were square, literally and
figuratively. Bronica, Mamiya, and Pentax have neither fashion nor
exclusivity. They all have quality, but have failed to project an
aura of quality beyond professional photographers.

Another really good point. I am reminded of the ads and write up I saw for
the ALPA Paul Frank Edition. Paul Frank is a fashion designer, and basically
just added a graphic pattern grips, and slightly different finish, yet this
was enough to get a really big exposure in a non photography magazine (GQ -
Gentleman's Quarterly).

Of course, we are also reminded of the multi colour Hasselblad cameras a
couple years ago. Add in things like special edition Leica cameras, like the
Hermes Edition, and these might become boutique items. Much like the Swiss
chronograph market, there may be a luxury niche for medium format. Then the
question becomes what volume is needed to sustain the production.

Mamiya in particular has tried to woo new customers based on price and
theoretical advantages. IMHO they would have been better off if they
focused on image instead.

I agree. While the initial results have been a lowering of used gear prices,
it seems to be that emphasizing quality and advantages would be better ways
to sustain a market. Lower prices seems too much like damage control.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com