Old May 12th 04, 02:12 AM
Bob Monaghan

Default convertible lens RF? Focal plane vs. leaf shutters in MF SLRs

yes, quite true, but I wasn't thinking in historical terms but in terms of
operationally useful examples like the speed and crown graphics rather
than the old hood viewing models (http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/graflexb.html)

in most cases, you pay quite a bit extra for a camera with a built-in
focal plane shutter over a similar model limited to leaf shutter lenses;
there are also issues of repairability and shutter speed variations (esp.
at maximum speed end and so on). So I think most users today tend to opt
for leaf shutter lenses and a simple body, and mainly those who expect to
adapt or use barrel lenses will seek out the more complex and costly and
often heavier bodies with the focal plane shutters built-in.

I have seen a few bodies offered for sale where the individual stripped
out the focal plane mechanics (and RF) in order to save weight, but can't
recall anyone adding a focal plane shutter to a non-f.p. body ;-) ;-)

grins bobm

* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *