Old January 23rd 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Photo Editing 2017 - An Opinion

On 2017-01-23 16:13:59 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 07:06:02 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

This is an interesting take on the state of post processing/photo
editing in 2017 from Matt Kloskowski.

https://mattk.com/state-post-processing-photo-editing-2017/

I read part of it, and stopped after reading about the "plug-in bloat"
part. So far, I'm in agreement with him.

I found some validity with what he had to say. One is better off
keeping things as simple as possible. However, there are times that a
fix or enhancement that only a specific plug-in can achieve is needed.

I've decided that if I can't post-process an image without relying on
plug-ins, the problem is with my subject choice. If it's an
interesting subject, I don't need to tart it up with special effects.

For the most part my Lightroom+Photoshop workflow is all I need.

That's not to say that I don't occasionally want to create something
beyond what was there for dramatic effect. I'm content, though, to
use the available Photoshop tools to do this.

Agreed.

I do use NIK for black and white conversions. I've got some pre-sets
and standard steps that I use. I can do the same thing in Photoshop,
but it takes me longer.

I have become a tad disenchanted with NIK lately as they have not fixed
some compatibility issues with the latest Mac OS, and the support
provided by Google is non-existent. I am also not happy with the way
On1 is going with their new Photo RAW 2017 effort.

As a matter of personal preference I have never been a fan of the Topaz
stuff, I know Peter has a fondness for some of their offerings.

These days if I want to make B&W conversions outside of Lightroom I
will use AlienSkin ExposureX (stand-alone and/or plugin) which I find
to be one of the best of the options out there.

I have also explored some of the Adobe complete processing/editing
alternatives, primarily for Mac, and I could live with at least three
of them if I ever dropped Adobe CC.

To me, the ability to "see" a photograph is the paramount challenge.
There are people who can walk by a photographic opportunity because
they don't see the photograph. They don't see that a different angle,
a close-up, or the inclusion or exclusion of something in the frame
can make the photograph. Post and plug-ins can't help them.

Yup! Having an eye for the photo opportunity is key.

There are members of my camera clubs that I call "cat and squirrel
photographers". They take excellent shots of certain subjects, but
they don't have the imagination to see a photograph in something
off-beat or not normally subject matter.

Savageduck