Old November 9th 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,I
Alan Browne

Default Ripe Apples

On 2017-11-09 07:49, nospam wrote:

meanwhile, the rest of the world wants to do actual work, not
open up their computer and swap parts all day long.

The usual asshat reply from nospam. People don't "swap parts all
day long". They do it when needed from time to time.

When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial
to remove and replace. About 10 minutes with most desktops.

And most people don;t have desktops and even if they do an external
drive can be plugged in and used in far less than 10 mins and without
the use of any tools.

Sub optimal performance, however. Although with newer serial
interfaces, less so.

IAC I suspect my next Mac will be 100% SSD.

On a current iMac it can easily take an hour or more. Tedious.
And no reason to make it so difficult other than the Apple
aesthetic.

Which lots of people prefer otherwise they'd be buying PC desktops
wouldn't they.

I'm on my 2nd iMac (and have various Macbooks/Airs here and at work).
I replaced the HD in less than an hour on the first one. Under
warranty. It was too much hassle to go through the Apple repair
service. (evaluation, estimate, repair: 5 - 10 business days. Screw that).

2nd iMac I'd budget 2 hours and I'd have iFixIt send me the gasket kit
first.

When I had PC's (including laptops) it took 10 - 15 minutes. Tops. Did
that many times over the years.

The fact that my iMac has a very thin bezel and looks nifty actually
contributes nothing to what it does for me as a computer. Since they
located the HD near the back shell it would have been trivial to have a
port there that could be opened. But they don't. (They do for RAM).

That said I don't see ever going back to a Windows PC. Linux as a
desktop environment is a disaster.

I could rebel and load Mac OS on a high end PC, but that brings a
maintenance "load" with it best left by the side of the road.