Old November 10th 17, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Ripe Apples

On 2017-11-09 09:03, nospam wrote:

snip

it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
versus something that *might* happen.

some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to
be removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last
5-10 years, that's a very good design decision.

No, it's a horrible decision.Â* Batteries here rarely last 5 years due to
the harsh winters.Â* Having to remove a wheel to even examine a battery
for its condition is absolute stupidity.Â* I see why you admire it.

I can think of a half dozen people who are glad my Ford F-150 doesn't
require removing the wheel for access to the battery. Those half dozen
people are also glad I carry jumper cables to jump start their cars.

Making machines easy to service is a smart design decision, and not
always mutually exclusive with making machines optimum for everyday use.

(OTOH, I replaced my original equipment truck battery at eight years
here in southwest Indiana!)

--
Ken Hart