Old January 22nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Medium and Larhe Format :: which way

In article ain,
Steve wrote:

Roughly 50k -- so if I choose to continue with a traditional approach and
shoot 600 sheets of Efke 100 per year @ about $480.000 per year and store
5 years worth of paper in the freezer at say 2000.00 and buy a stockpile
of chemistry for another 2000.00 I'm estimating roughly if I allow 10,000
for the next 5 years on consumables it will take me about 20 - 25 years
before I reach the expense of the scanning back alone. Not accounting for
depreciation.

Now what is the advantage for me as Joe average 5x4 black and white
photogrqpher. I already have or could easily equip a full darkroom for
next to nothing and my camera/lenses will never need replacing apart from
mechanical failure. The enlarger I have is as fine as the day it was made,
the processing system will outlast me and nothing needs updating.

I suppose I shouldn't have posted this as many people will now stay with
traditional photography and it will cost me more for nice cast offs from
digital explorers.

Its a good analysis on your part, I doubt you will use that much paper
and film in one year so your cost of staying with conventional will
probably be even less. There also comes a point when one decides
one does not want a 20x24 of every image one shoots. A few are nice....
or you have to have storage for all those images.....lots of archival
boxes.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com