Old May 27th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Help to decide a lens or two.

I have the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. I leave it on my Camera
as a general purpose lens. It seems to do the job for my needs.

You'll want to decide what area of photography you want to focus on (if you
haven't already, and excuse the pun). If you like close up photography, then
spend the money on a good macro lens. If you like to shoot animals in the
wild, then go for a good telephoto.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,
After months of reading reviews and such - I decided to buy a Canon
EOS350D/Digital Rebel XT body. As shown in dpreview, I found the
cropped-out image details in higher ISOs better compared to other
available alternatives.
Now, I do not have enough budget to buy L series lenses. I can spend
upto $400, to which I have found two options.
1. Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO -
have read lots of good review about this one.
2. Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 EF-S USM EOS + Canon 55-200/4.5-5.6 EF II USM -
default option.
Can you please suggest which one is better? Or anything else? I am an
enthusiastic beginner who likes to carry the camera and take candid
street photographs, cityscapes and landscapes.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.