Old May 21st 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Is Your Browser Color Managed?

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Still a small factor, I think. People have different
| OSs, different monitors, different monitor settings...
|
| Why did you write that, even after snipping the bit where I wrote:
|
| "My monitors have been color magaed since before that article was
| written - except for now while I wait for the necessary X-Rite i1
| to manage my new monitors. Nevertheless, I believe them to be
| fairly accurately managed for whatevere color profile I may choose
| for them."
|
| My monitor settings are as close to right as I can get them.

I wasn't talking about that. My point was the
part that *you* snipped.

"It's one thing to calibrate your own
computer to your printer. It's another to expect
that you can pass on that accuracy to someone
else's machine."

In other words, when dealing with graphics on your
own machine, calibration is relevant. When dealing
with webpages or transferring graphics, one just
has to settle for a range. Browser, OS, monitor,
settings, graphics driver, a and of course a person's
vision will all affect what's seen. You can only adjust
for your own view. (Most monitors I see default to
too much saturation and too bright. I don't know why.
I'm guessing the device companies are trying to wow
customers with "richness".)

Years ago there were web-safe colors to attempt
some kind of standard. Everyone agreed they'd try
to do their best to have those colors show the same
on all machines. They were the hex codes made up
of 00 33 66 99 CC FF. (0033FF, CC6699, etc) The
idea was that if you stuck with only those colors
you could sorta, kinda depend on people viewing your
webpage all seeing about the same colors. But even
that was just an approximation. Color is also relative
to lighting, surrounding colors, etc. Cream next to
orange looks white, while next to white it looks yellow.
Which is the real color?

So what I'm saying is, you can calibrate your devices
in order to print accurately what you see on your
monitor, but that's the only relevant calibration. Once
you send images to others, who view them on other
devices, all bets are off.