Old October 28th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob M

Default Washed out signs

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:47:04 GMT, Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi Bob...

Way back when I tried what you're doing, and given that I'm
old and long retired with lots of time on my hands, I did every
experiment I could think of to get satisfactory results, but
failed. I suspect from your sample that you've done already
than I ever did, but of course cameras have much improved since
I did it, so...

Anyway, if you're looking for the best results, you want a
dedicated film/slide scanner, preferably with digital ice
to remove dust from your pics. (you will see it

Next best will be a flatbed scanner with a backlight for
scanning film/slides. I have an Epson which works great.

Be aware that if you have many slides/negs, it's a long and
tedious project. I've been at a lifetime collection for a
couple of years now, and am about half finished

Finally, if you insist on using your camera, don't project,
but rather get yourself a light box, and photograph the
slide/film directly. This will provide far better results
than projecting.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am also retired, and this is the project
that has finally risen to the top of the priority list.
I got out the old screen and projector a couple of weeks ago to look at some
old Florida vacation slides from 1964. It was such a hassle, it reminded me
why we have not done that in such a long time. The screen has creases in it,
and seems ready to fall over. I have 2 Anscomatic 40 slide tray projectors and
neither works very well. Jamming up, needing a nudge now and then.
We watch the digital camera's pictures on the TV via a laptop, and I want to
do the same with the old slides.
The TV has really poor resolution by design, and the computer puts out a
compatable signal. Pictures on the TV look a lot fuzzier than on the computer.
I need to look into some way of using the TV's HDTV to show the pictures with
better resolution.

I looked at 2 attachments, the Opteka HD2 for about $60.00 which has bad
reviews, and a Specialty Photographic model for about $100.00 plus an adapter
to fit the Kodak. I may get the latter, but I am concerned that the Z650 may
not be able to focus well enough. I set up a light source, a diffuser and a
slide holder on a bench. After several experimental shots, I could not get the
Z650 to focus adequately. It has manual control over everything but focus. I
wonder if it would work any better with one of these adapters?

Remove "not" for return address.