Old April 20th 18, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!!

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 01:55:09 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 20 April 2018 04:00:41 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:02:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Neil
wrote:

If that 12 megapixel is the actual resolution and isn't a typo, I'd much
rather carry my Olympus TG-4.

while it may be easier to carry, it has much smaller pixels, therefore
much higher noise.

"Much" higher noise?

yes.

I seriously doubt it.

then you don't understand physics.

S/N has more parameters than
just pixel size.

so what?

the dominant factor for noise is pixel size. larger pixels collect more
light. basic physics.

It's not so much that they collect more light but that there is less
random variation in the number of photons which each cell collects.

I don't think that has anything to do with it, noise IS defined as unwanted signal in the device and associated circuitry.

Do you mean you are happy with shot noise?

Eric Stevens