Old August 30th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default Compression in JPEG files in digital cameras

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

John Turco wrote:

Hardly any cameras support TIFF. Yes, you can use EXIF with LZW ... the are
completely unrelated as far as TIFF is concerned.

heavily edited, for brevity

Hello, Thomas:

Oh, then, I'm so very lucky that my Kodak P850 can do both TIFF and
RAW, in addition to JPEG. g

I didn't say NO cameras use TIFF.

Hello, Thomas:

I was quite aware of what you said; didn't you notice the smiley, after
my sentence?

Most that suppot RAW do not, but obviously many do. I am not sure why one
would want to shoot TIFF in camera though [as opposed to RAW] unless they
simply don't want to use the RAW converson tools. I think I saw recently
that the upcoming Nikon D3 will still suppport TIFF.

"Hardly any cameras support TIFF." Which seems to contradict your later
statement - "but obviously many do" - no?

Regardless, I agree with your RAW-versus-TIFF remark. I've only toyed
with those modes, briefly, and saw that the P850's RAW files averaged
around 9GB, but the TIFF's were all precisely 14,821KB.

By contrast, this digicam's largest JPEG images have been about 3.2GB,
with the vast majority under 3GB (all the way down to 538KB).

Cordially,
John Turco