Old October 21st 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,soc.libraries.talk,rec.photo.film+labs,alt.graphics.photoshop
bino

Default Microfilm into wall size poster please??

"John J" wrote in message
m...

"slakka" wrote in message
Dear NG,
I wonder how to move foward with the above header please?
Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

The microfilm I work with is strips of film with the same dimensions as
35mm film EXCEPT it has no sprocket holes. Beware that the Nikon Coolscans
use sprocket holes to register (align frames) so the strip feeder will not
work. At all. You can't even force it to expose. It considers the
nondetection of sprocket holes an error.

A work-around is to mount it as a 35mm slide and then scan it.

Given that microfilm is pure black-and-white, you can scan at a high
resolution and do some good work with photoshop to refine edges, if
necessary.

Otherwise you might be better off shipping the film to a custom
photographic printer (many available) who can print right to a very large
paper.

Really? I've never tried this with my 8000ED, but it seems it wants to see
the black of the film between the first and second frame, and after that,
it's good. Of course, I defer to your actual experience.