Old January 29th 05, 05:06 PM
Charlie Self

George responds:

"Sam Ormes" wrote in message
AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much

easier to
read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

They'd probably notice it more if you switched ISPs than sending a nasty
email (too
easy just to filter them out...but try to filter out a drop in subscribers).

I'm not sure anyone at AOL believes that subscriber loss is due to subscriber
dissatisfaction. Their membership rolls have been on a downward slide for some
time now, but I do believe they think it's a phase of the moon sort of thing,
so removing services won't hurt. And, in truth, it probably won't. I've been
planning to dump them for other reasons for a long time now. This just forces
me to act.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000