Old June 7th 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

On 2017-06-07 16:24:48 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 11:36:22 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If Live Photos is a mode that can be turned on or off, it would seem
that this adds battery drain when it is on.

Yes or no?

no.

there is no reason why it would.

I'm not "claiming" it is draining the battery, but am asking why the
battery is not increasing in use because the camera is recording that
extra 1.5 seconds at all times when that mode is on.

because it's not recording anything unless you actually take a photo.

the live preview, which occurs any time the camera app is open, is
buffered in memory for autofocus, autoexposure, face detection, special
effects and much more, whether or not live photos is on or off.

if live photos is off, just the photo is saved to flash.

if live photos is on, then the photo plus the last 1.5 seconds of the
memory buffer is saved, plus the following 1.5 seconds unless the
camera moved enough to where the video is no longer relevant. {*]

even if you don't take any photos at all, the phone is still using
power to run the camera app, get data from the sensor, display it on
the screen, etc.

the amount of power to write a file to flash, even if the file is
slightly bigger when it contains video, is negligible compared to
everything else that's going on.

If I read that correctly, the answer to my question is "Yes", not
"No", but the contention is that the battery drain is negligible and -
assumedly - will not affect the phone's performance.

then you read it incorrectly.

the only difference in battery drain is in writing a slightly larger
file, taking a tiny fraction of a second longer, a difference so small
that the amount of additional power probably can't be measured, let
alone noticed by the user.

I find it absolutely fascinating the lengths you will go in arguing
that you are right when it's patently obvious that you are wrong. And,
when your own words prove you wrong.

You insist that I am "incorrect" when I allow that the battery drain
is "negligible" by insisting that, instead, "the difference is so
small (that it) can't be measured". What in the hell do you think
"negligible" means? Here's a clue from the dictionary: "Negligible:
so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering,
insignificant".

You insist that I am incorrect when I allow that it will not affect
the phone's performance by countering that it won't be noticed by the
user. In other words, it wouldn't affect the phone's performance.

The question was asked if leaving the feature on will cause battery
drain, and requested a "yes" or "no" answer. You said "no", and then
went on to agree that it does. A correct answer from you would have
been "yes, but the drain is so negligible that it is a non-issue."

You create arguments where there should be no argument by misstating
something and then digging in by claiming there was no misstatement.

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating.

Hell! My iPhone in standby mode with nothing used at all will still
drain the battery.

Savageduck