Old March 25th 13, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

Default So how good is 36 megapixels?

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
news
: Right, and for most available lenses once you get to 50mp and beyond
: in 35mm format. Which was my point.
: We should see a return in development and sales toward prime lenses,
: as zooms certainly won't cut it, and many of the primes will need
: improving to do so as well.

I doubt that we'll see that. The ongoing takeover of serious photography
by
zooms has been largely unaffected by improvements in sensor resolution.
Instead, better sensors have been accompanied by better zooms.

Better yes, good enough for 50 mp true resolution, NO.

Though new,
better prime lenses are still being developed, they don't seem to be
reclaiming much market share. Primes have become a curiosity in most
circles,
including this one, except for increasingly specialized purposes. There's
probably no going back.

Agreed, and as I already said, people won't care because the 50mp is for
boasting rights, even if the real data resolution with lens is half that.
Just as well hard drives are cheap now though! :-)

Trevor.