Old July 19th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.www.software
CSM1

Default What program is best at JPEG compression?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are some graphics programs better than others for compressing JPEG?
A friend swears that Image Ready is the best for getting the
smallest file with same quality.
But I see a few companies have made utilities purely for
compressing pictures, and claim they obtain better
compression than the top tier graphics programs.
I presume there are different numerical routines used by
different companies in their software, but I would guess
maybe 5% variation in file size at best.
I know there was a comparison done several years ago,
but the website with the pictures seems to be kaput.
(www.imagecompress.com ?)
Is there a recent comparison of different programs to see
who offers the best compression?
That is, best quality for same size, or smallest size
for same quality.

Jpeg compression is a big subject, since JPEG is a lossy compression scheme,
there are always trade offs. File size vs. amount of compression and
artifacts.

The better Graphic programs give you a choice of the amount of compression
used.
The de facto best Photo editor it Adobe Photoshop. The full version is about
$650 or $150 for the upgrade.

Photoshop Elements is a consumer grade Photo editor that costs much less
money ($100) and does most of what Photoshop CS does.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com