Old May 31st 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default real-time "video out" for digital cameras?

On 2006-01-07 06:17:54 -0500, "Scott Speck" said:

Hello, Everyone,

With digital SLR's, this might be even MORE useful, for super-fast
lenses that are really tough to focus manually due to limited depth of
field. Looking at a 2" LCD screen, determining perfect focus is darn
difficult. But I bet such focusing would be much easier when viewing
the image real-time through a much larger screen -- either lcd goggles,
or piped directly into a laptop (or desktop, depending on where you are
at the time) to view the image at larger size.

-Scott

Thers is not a reasonably prcied computer screen or electronic imaging
system that mortal man can afford today with sufficient resolution to
allow me to focus a Digital SLR accurately. A decent monitor of
normal size has a maximum resolution of 96 ppi. A 200 dpi print is
higher resolution than that. The optical finder on my Nikon D70s is
100's of times sharper than that. The optical finders on high end
Nikons, Canons , Contaxs and Leicas are many time better than the D70s.
I agree with you on P&S's and zLRS, which is one of the many reasons
I don't own one. If one of these cameras forces you to manually focus
on the LCD on the back of the camera, its a very good reason to leave
it on the shelf in the shop. Useless.

Jim