Old January 7th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default real-time "video out" for digital cameras?

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:37:33 -0800, Paul Allen wrote:

Scott Speck wrote:

Hello, Everyone,

I've found that when the light is too low for my FZ30's autofocus to work
properly, I need to perform a manual focus. However, this can be difficult
when using the LCD screen onboard the camera. My question is -- why not
have a "VGA out" jack on the camera into which could plug a pair of lcd
goggles? You could have full vga resolution with a huge angular field of
view (through the goggles) played from the camera through the lcd goggles.
One could then put on the goggles and hold the camera far away from oneself,
swiveling it in all directions but still "seeing what the camera sees" with
ease. Focusing would be much easier then, too. Does this capability exist,
or is it on the horizon for new cameras?

Hmmm... Several things here. First, small-sensor cameras like the FZ30
don't do well in low light. Second, I understood that the FZ30 could
increase the gain on the display in low light. Does that not help? And
finally, what makes you think an external LCD would improve things?
Sure, it would be cool, but I can't imagine a camera maker thinking that
was a marketable feature worth a higher price.

It's not intended for LCD goggles, but a lot of cameras have video-out
feeds. They typically plug into the same port as the USB cable (with a
different connector at the end, of course), and are meant for displaying
pictures on TVs. Some, but not all, can drive this output while in
Record mode; that's how reviewers usually get all those nice screenshots
of the different LCD display modes and so forth.

Dang! I would have bet a dollar that the video out wouldn't work in
record mode. I just hooked up my old Oly C700 to the television and
it shows exactly what's on the LCD on the TV screen, regardless of the
camera's mode.

I don't think his application is particularly useful,

Yep, especially since it'll show the same dark hard-to-focus image the
he's seeing on his camera's LCD.

but if someone had
a goggle set that could accept NTSC or PAL input, there's a reasonable
chance that an off-the-shelf camera could drive it.

The available data suggests that you're right.

Paul Allen