Old August 24th 18, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Nikon mirrorless FF's launch. Sony FF sales about to drop. A lot.

On Aug 24, 2018, Sandman wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

RichA:
All the potential ship-jumpers will no longer have to. Plus, all
those Nikon lenses and thousands of others once aftermarket
adapters hit.

I think I will skip either one of these. Nikon missed the MILC
target with these two cameras, but it is a start, so perhaps in 4-5
years they will have a good MILC which can replace the D850

In what way did they miss the mark, though?

Start with the single memory slot.

Same resolution, more focusing points, smaller camera, higher frame rate.

....er, not too much smaller, especially with the fat “S" glass designed for
the Zs.
In a smaller world the M43, and APS-C MILCs have nothing to fear from the FF
MILCs.

The unknowns, at least to me, is focusing speed. I haven't watched any reviews yet.

From what I have read the AF does not match up to the D850, D5, or D500, and
Nikon isn’t going to erode sales of those cameras with either the Z6, or
Z7. They are going to try to get a piece of the Sony FF pie, and they are
going to pick up sales fron Nikon FF DSLR owners who have been reluctant to
move into the MILC world.

As far as I can determine, the D850 has it beat on shots per battery charge.

....and that is another issue. If Nikon is trying to produce a pro FF MILC it
needs to compete with the Nikon pro DSLRs with all specs, including battery
life. For now both the Z6 & Z7 are high priced prosumer MILCs with a limited
native lens availability (admitedly there is the promise of the “S” lens
roadmap). Using F mount lenses with the adaptor turns what should be a
reasonably compact system into an unwieldly kludge. even with the adaptor
none of their older screw focus lenses will work. For folks looking for a FF
MILC system they should consider the Sony offerings. For MF they should look
to the Fujifilm GFX-50S, and the soon to be released GFX-100S.

Whether it's a worthy competitor to the A7R III is another story.

For now it seems the Sony has the edge. However, there are going to be a
whole bunch of Nikon FF shooters with legacy F mount glass who are going to
be tempted.

Savageduck