Old March 15th 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default First time owner of a 35mm Camera

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

I believe all the Nikkormats had vertical shutters. The Ft, which was
quite early, is described as having a vertical shutter and 1/125 sec
flash sync in multiple online sources, for example. I remember the FTN
as having 1/125 sync as well, and I believe that was always a sign of
a vertical shutter.

Yes. I think the Ft was the first. It's predecssor was the Nikkorex F, which
was made by Mamiya for Nikon. I believe the shutter was made by Copal.

The Nikkormat Ftn, was an Ft with center weighted metering. This matched the
metering of the Photomic Ftn finder on the F.

The same shutter was used in all the Nikkormats (Ft, FTn, Ft2, Ft3) and an
electronicaly timed version was used in the EL and EL2.

If not the same, very similar shutters were used in the FM and FE.

The cameras with curtain shutters (F/F2/F3) had a top flash sync of 1/90th.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(