Old January 28th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Gary Eickmeier

Default My latest musings about photography

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

There's been some argument now and then about maybe adding version
numbering to Sun's ZFS filesystem, and it got interesting with the old
TOPS-20 hacks saying how simple and useful it was an other people
saying how it would pollute your directories and make everything
totally confusing :-).

(I was a customer from 1977-1979, supported TOPS-20 and VMS in the
field until 1981, and was in Marlboro in the layered products group
until 1985).

HI David,

TOPS-20 was pretty great and was a nice OS to do sys admin and systems
programming on back then. If I remember rightly you could set a
preference in a config file as to how many back versions you wanted to
keep. Saved my bacon on a number of occasions.

What is this about versions? When I save as different types of files, it
still has the photo's original number from the camera. Even if I renamed
it, it would still be "Doggy.jpg" and "Doggy.TIF." What's the problem?

Gary Eickmeier