Old January 7th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Small P&S Shutter Lag Times ?

Steve Cutchen wrote:
In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm
They have an interesting definition of shutter lag.
"The Shutter Lag Comparison Table shows the amount of time it takes each
camera to record one shot and five shots"

It is supposed to be the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates and has /nothing/ to do with how long it takes to record
the image.

The table appears to be meaningless as far as shutter lag goes.

Anyway most cameras can operate faster if you turn off automatic white
balance.
It certainly slows mine down.
The same is true of auto exposure but its more difficult to live without.

Continuous auto-focus can also slow things quite a bit. I define
'shutter lag' as the time between full depression of the shutter button,
and recording of the image.

in memory... i.e. getting the shot. Yes. I'd agree.

Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.

Pre-squeezing reduced the shutter lag to zero, but at the sacrifice of
locking in the AF and exposure. In some cases, not a bad compromise if
you are careful at what scene you pre-squeeze.

I have used that pre-focus/exposure to good purpose when scenes are backlit.