Old May 16th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

Default Nikon D100, D2X or Kodak DCS Pro 14N ???

"30magic" wrote:
In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at possibly
getting the D100 or D2x. While I understand there major differences
perhaps I just need some more help in macking this decision. I'm
photographing nature scenes, natural beauty, mountains, flowers,
animals and my kids. Which will get me the best results? I'd guess
the 14N but I only assume that due to the megapixels of the camera.
Any thougts, anybody???

The D100 is not in the same league as the other two.

I have not used a DCS Pro 14N, and am going on what is available
on the Internet in reviews and descriptions.

Note that the difference in maximum megapixels between the DCS
Pro 14N and a D2x is minimal. There are *many* other
significant differences that you'll want to judge for
yourself...

For example the Kodak's 13.7 mp (4536 x 3024) high resolution
format is available *only* at ISO 80, while ISO 400 and 800 can
provide at most 6 mp (3024 x 2016) resolution.

The D2x delivers full 4288 x 2848 resolution, with 12.4 mp, at
ISO speeds up to 3200, though certainly the 1600 and 3200 are
degraded in terms of noise performance, compared to ISO 800.
However, the top continuous frame speed of 8 fps is only
available when the "high speed crop" 6 mp, 3,216 x 2,136, option
is enabled. Otherwise maximum continuous speed is 5 frame per
second for the Nikon. (Still 3 times the 1.7 fps of the Kodak.)

The Kodak has a 36mm x 24mm (35mm film "full frame") sensor.
The Nikon has a 23.7 mm x 15.6 mm (a 1.5 "crop factor") sensor.
If you tend to love wide angle lenses, the Kodak has a
significant advantage. If you tend to love long telephoto
lenses, the advantage is with the Nikon. If you typically use
lenses between 28mm and 300mm on a 35mm camera there is little
real difference.

The Kodak camera uses Firewire and the Nikon uses USB for wired
connectivity.

The Nikon camera weighs 2.5 lbs, the Kodak is 2.0 lbs.

The Kodak apparently is rated at 400 images per battery charge.
The Nikon specifications list 2600 images under one set of
conditions and 800 under another. It is difficult if not
impossible to directly compare those figures, but it suggests
the Kodak will eat batteries faster.

I've no doubt only scratched the surface. Little things like
how the viewing screens are laid out (and the range of diopters
built into the viewer), how many focusing points, how auto
exposure lock works, through the lens flash exposure control,
automatic bracketing of exposures, mirror lockup, remote shutter
release cables, and provision for vertical shooting (exposure
lock and shutter release buttons in the right places) are all
more or less important to different users, and preferences are
very user specific.

You'll need your own priority list...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)