Old February 15th 11, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
[email protected]

Default Lens Cell Cleaning

On 2/14/2011 2:32 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
In ,
wrote:

From my use, it's a very nice lens given a bad rap mainly because it
was sold at a low price as a "novice lens". Who wants that when you can
buy a pro lens? :P

Well, at least in the 1990s when the question arose for me, it was more
like "who wants that when you can buy a nice clean used Commercial Ektar"?

I actually replaced a "nice clean" commercial ektar of the same length
with this lens and got much better results at my shooting apertures of
f16-f22. Maybe my sample was a bad one but the geronar has much higher
contrast and "snappyness" to the pictures, especially in difficult
lighting. Add to that a much better shutter, I don't think I'd want 50
year old lens with marginal coatings in one of those old supermatic
shutters over this one.

Like I said, this lens gets a bad rap and I suspect most of the people
saying this have never tested or even used one..