Old October 19th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_31_]

Default Extension rings for macro

* Gerrit wrote :
I wish to buy a set of rings to give macro capability to my camera.
I have a Nikon D50 body married to a Tamron AF LD 28-200 lens.
My question to all you knowledgeable people is this: would a Kenko Automatic
Extension Tube Set DG for Nikon AF be suitable and would all the functions
on the D50 be enabled?

G'day mate. My take on it is this. A 28-200 lens with extension
tubes will allow you to focus much closer than the lens can do
without, but it won't be macro sort of magnifications. I don't
think you'll be able to achieve 1:1 lifesize.

A commonly recommended cheap macro kit is something like a 50mm
prime lens with a full set of extension tubes (about 68mm). That
will give you 1:1 magnification, true macro. Not sure about
Nikkor, but I know the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is very reasonably priced
a around AU$100-$150.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the tubes and 50mm lens, though.
Well, actually I did do this originally. What I mean to say is I
wouldn't do that if I had my time again. I'd just get a true
macro lens first up. Something around 100mm focal length. I
have the Canon 100mm f/2.8, but have experience with the Sigma
105mm and the Tamron 90mm. Both are excellent and cheaper than
the Canon. I'm sure you'd find the same with Nikkors. That
focal length is a good balance of affordability and working
distance. These true macro lenses give you 1:1 magnification at
minimum focus distance and are much easier to use than the
extension tubes plus normal lens.

Plus, if and when you do get hooked on macro, if you buy the
extension tubes then, on lenses around 100mm focal length you can
get 2:1 magnification.

Next time we'll talk about lighting

--
Troy Piggins