Old October 6th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Richard Knoppow

Default Ilford SFX 200

"null" wrote in message
Any hints/tips on using Ilford SFX 200 film? I just
ordered some 120 rolls and a B+W 092 (infrared dark red)
filter.
I plan on using Tmax developer. Camera is a Hasselblad
with the 80 mm CFi lens. I plan on using the filter
factor to estimate exposure. Exposures will be of outdoor
scenes.

Any tips on exposure, focussing, development, etc?

Ilford SFX 200 is not "true" IR film like the late,
lamented, Kodak High-Speed IR film but will give you IR
effects with a deep red filter. Check to see if your lenses
have IR markings on them. Most lenses are corrected for
visible red and typically have slightly longer focal length
for IR and deep red. If you shoot at relatively small
f/stops the depth of field will accomodate this. My main
recommendation is to test before doing any serious work. The
film should give acceptable results in any conventional
developer but I would follow Ilford recommendations.
As I think you know exposure meters are pretty useless
for IR unless especially designed for it. Daylight exposures
are based on the average amount of IR compared to visible
light.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA