Old April 10th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default What kind of bird is this?

On 2007-04-09 13:51:12 -0700, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) said:

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

I also would say great blue heron. These are a large bird, about 46"
tall. The yellow bill and light colored neck distinguish it from the
much smaller little blue heron. It appears to be a young bird, still
with some immature plumage. The image is too small to accurately guess
the age. I can't see if it has the head plume yet.

Little blue herons have dark necks and look almost black from a
distance, although there is a much lighter calico phase. Great blues
also have a white phase, known as the great white heron or Florida
heron; also an intermediate phase called Wurdemann's heron. However,
this appears to be an immature great blue heron.

They are solitary birds, rather skittish, stalking or still-hunting in
marshes and beaches. They are very successful hunters. They seem to
take flight whenever I show up with a camera. There is one that hunts
every morning at sunrise on our beach, but I can't even approach the
window of the house without him taking off -- and he is usually 50
yards away. He will also depart if eagles, seals, or other large birds
show up. They just don't seem to like company.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor