Old June 13th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Ilfochrome printing

Ilfochrome material is slow. I eventually bought a faster (more
expensive) lens in order to get an extra stop of light and shorten the
times. If you're using the Beseler 45 for 35mm that slows things down
even further. My times speeded up somewhat when I got a colorhead and
began printing with halogen, but you could try getting a higher wattage
bulb.

However, it is not necessary to use contrast masks to control contrast.
Newer Ilfochrome comes in three contrast grades, which helps, but I
found that mixing my own low-contrast developer (any black and white
paper developer will work--some better than others) and using it as a
divided formula, developing agents in Bath A, activator (sodium
carbonate in Bath B) worked very well to control contrast, even on the
old very contrasty materials. And it was much cheaper.

MXP wrote:
I was using a Durst 605 color. It has a 150W halogen lamp.
I exposed for about 20 sec. Later I got a Omega D6 (color) which has a
250 W halogen lamp as far as I remember. For this I also used a contrast
mask.
Exposure time with the mask was about 20-40 sec. So you exposure time seems
very long. The material I used was CLM 1K (very glossy).
Now I am gone digial.....but nothing can beat a well made Ilfochrome.
But it is just so hard to get it perfect. You need a contrast mask to reduce
the
contrast so you get details in the dark areas without loosing details in the
highlights.

Max

"WILLIAM GRUENEWALD" skrev i en meddelelse
ink.net...

I've been trying to print this material using my Beseler 45 Universal
enlarger Head without success. Filtration is Y17, M00, C10. Recommended
exposure time, according to Shule's Book "Cibachrome Printing", would be
22
seconds as a start for an 8X10. However, following these guidelines, I
get
an exposure which can hardly be seen - so dark!! (I develop with the Jobo
CPP and Ilford Ilfochrome Chemicals, as per their instructions). Leaving
the filtration (colors) alone, I then made several other exposures with
the
following times: 50 seconds, 70 seconds, 90 seconds, 110 seconds, lens
set
at f4. Needless to say, the prints got lighter so you could see whats on
them, however, I still could use an additional 20 seconds exposure -
makeing
this 130 seconds total for a "normal" print. My questiion is this: Is
this
normal - seems to me to be way to long of an exposure for a 8X10 print!
I'm
no darkrooom expert, but when the slide starts to buckel at about 40
seconds
due to heat, something has to be wrong. Appreciate any responses.