Old February 16th 04, 03:30 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Default Kodachrome (K-14) vs. Ektachrome (E-6) Color Slides

Jeff L wrote in message . ..
Hello,

I have a few questions about color slides, some of which I have
wondered about for the past 20 years or so. Could anyone answer
these?:

1) What all is involved in the K-14 process? How many, and what kind
of chemicals are there? Why have they never been available to the
public?

First developer, three reversal exposures and three color devlopers,
bleach, fix, wash, etc.

2) What would happen if someone tried to process Kodachrome film using
the E-6 process?

Blank film.

3) What is the difference in chemistry between Kodachrome and
Ektachrome films?

Different kind of color couplers. Kodachrome's couplers are in teh
developers, Ektachrome couplers are in the film.

4) In detail, what do each of the 7 chemicals in the E-6 process
actually do? If you omit the color developer step, will you get B&W
slides?

No, you will get nothing but bank film...

5) Is it possible to process C-41 print film using E-6 or K-14
chemicals to end up with slides instead of negatives? What about D-76
B&W print film?

6) Since color slides were invented in 1936, what year were the first
color prints available? All of my parents' family photos older than
the mid-60's are all B&W, except for color slides from the 50's.

Kodak made Kodachrome prints service available soon after Kodachrome
film became available.

Thanks,
Jeff