Old February 11th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default MF Scanners - Microtek 120tf?

On 10 Feb 2006 16:09:29 -0800, "hassy_user"
wrote:

Great info! Thanks Rafe. I suspected that the Nikon was better, but
wanted some firmer evidence. I might even try out the ICE

Now do I wait for good used 8000 or just pop for the 9000......

A new one is $1800 at BH. A good used one,
about half that, give or take.

FWIW, an LS-9000 took first place in Jim Hutchison's
2005 "bakeoff" although that one was done by very
different rules (deliberately more subjective.)

IMO, some of the very sharpest scans on my
"snippets" site -- by Max Perl -- are done on
a 9000, from 35mm BW GigabitFilm using Nikkor
prime lenses.

There are a few "fixes" in NikonScan software
that only work on the 9000. Most of these are
for nuisance-level bugs that have well known
workarounds.

BTW, you mentioned you work with C41 film
mostly -- you'll find the analog gain
(exposure) controls very useful for that.

Having independent R/G/B lighting means
that exposures for the three color channels
can be set independently.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com