Old September 25th 04, 09:08 PM
Alan Browne

Theseeker wrote:
I am about to buy a colour aerial photo of a sixty square mile area.
The firm supplying these charges more for the image on CD than it does
for a printed photograph. Don't ask me why, I've queried it and the
differential is vast. Obviously I am considering buying the printed
version, scanning it and saving it to CD for future
ehancement/enlargement. Will I lose any quality with this conversion?
I have a SCSI scanner and Photoshop so I am confident I could get
about 1440 dpi.
Would I be better off buying a negative and getting a professional to
digitize it?

What are the various technical parameters regarding the print and the CD image?
(Size, pixels x,y)

Do they say what size the negative(positive) is that covers that area?

Most prints yield about 400 dpi at best. (B&W aerial photography done on high
end cameras and repro equipment might go to 600 or so). So the larger the print
they sell, the better.

I'm curious: What is your use of the image going to be?

Cheers,
Alan