Old June 22nd 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Seeking a concise Canon CHDK (Firmware hack) site?

Doug Bashford wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

The observed behaviour of camera manufacturers is that they are
not in the least positive towards CHDK (though not hostile enough
to make CHDK completely impossible), nor do they seem inclined to
add features like motion detection, scripting et al to their new
cameras.

Yup. It's the microsoft definition of KISS:
Keep It comicbook Simple for Stupid. That's us.

That may be you, but it's certainly not me.

While the market has proven that MS KISS works,
CHDK fills a void, a nich market. But in my opinion,
that market can be widely expanded at little cost,
I think it must be shrinking now due to sloppy,
undisciplined, aimlessly wandering haphazard documentation.

You are not talking about
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual
but about a forum for a certain beta software.

[2] Our analog-signal TV harddisk recorder has the tendency to stop
receiving when you switch channels and with a recording time
(advertized) of up to 400 hours, has only *8* slots for timer
recordings. Yes, you can do weekly repeats and Mo-Fr repeats
--- but you cannot give a name to the recordings before they
are recorded and naming recordings is a major PITA due to the
interface (switch through the whole alphabet letter by letter,
digit by digit, special char by special char (you can switch
between upper and lower case though) --- and don't press the
buttons on the remote control too fast. Never heard of an
on-screen keyboard, have they?) No chance for me to fix that
issue, even if I had all the time in the world.

Manf' HATE buttons, yup?

It's not a case of buttons, it's a case of stupid use cases and
usability. Immediately an onscreen keyboard with cursors and/or
T9 comes to mind.

-Wolfgang