Old April 12th 04, 10:49 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Default help with the GIMP

"Peter " wrote:

Hi

I am trying to make the transition to the GIMP from Photoshop 7 (Mandrake
9.2). I use PS for editing high res scans (50-70MB). When using the GIMP I
have been experiencing some extremely long processing times when doing
routine tasks such as colour balancing and unsharp masking. When colour
balancing I can watch the image redraw itself from top to bottom, and USM
can take up to 30 seconds or so.

I have a relatively new system (AMD 2600+, 512MBddr400, 80GB-8MB cache HD,
etc.) and these tasks complete themselves instantaneously (for all intents
and purposes!) under WinXP + PS7.

I am very new to Linux so I don't know where to start, although I have
increased the GIMPs cache up to 256MB in the preferences.

Any ideas?

Thanks

How long history do you use? 70MB image + one 70MB previous version +
70MB work buffer + some variables = 256MB. In other words, if the image
processing SW (whatever brand) stores more than the previous version of
the image, it will run out of cache, and starts swapping to the disk.

-- Lassi