Old June 28th 12, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default Sigma highlights another problem with plastics, thermal change

nospam wrote:
In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

: : Doesn't say much about problems with QC. You two 'lucked out'
: : and got a good copy. Noone says Sigma cannot build good lenses
: : --- only that they don't do that consistently enough for comfort.
:
: How many Sigma lenses have you ever owned, Wolfgang? How good
: were they?
:
: I shall refer you to lensrentals.com, who have owned *many* dozen.
:
: Another 1 or 3 or 10 lenses from me doesn't make a difference
: to statistics. Just as one lottery winner doesn't mean every
: ticket wins the main price.

In other words, none. I thought as much.

Since I suppose you'll ask, or assume, my wife and I own four of them. Are
they the best lenses we own? No. But all have been a very good value for the
money.

four lenses is nothing.

lensrentals has *hundreds* of sigma lenses. dozens *each* of nearly
every model sigma lens made.

well they used to, until they found out that sigma lenses had horrific
failure rates, as high as 90% (really). many of them failed out of the
box, before they were even rented to anyone. worse, sigma gave the a
runaround to get them fixed, blaming lensrentals for breaking them.
there was a lengthy blog on their website about it.

now they only carry sigma lenses if there's no alternative from another
manufacturer.

If Sigma lenses are as bad as they say, I'm surprised that none of the
Sigma lenses I have or are owned and much appreciated by several of my
local photographer friends have given us any problems. That good luck
should have stretched so far if most Sigmas are crap seems stretching
luck and probability rather far. I note when reading lens reviews that
some Sigma lenses seem to have been notoriously troublesome, while
some others seem to be well regarded for build, optical quality, and
consistency.

I wonder, could it possibly be the case that some Sigma lenses are
good and some are bad, and you can find out which are which by
checking reviews etc? Could it possibly be that lensrentals have
fallen out with Sigma over some service issues and are trying to get
their own back? What other lens rental agencies report similar
problems?

--
Chris Malcolm