Old June 26th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default Sigma highlights another problem with plastics, thermal change

On 6/26/2012 5:04 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

: : Doesn't say much about problems with QC. You two 'lucked out'
: : and got a good copy. Noone says Sigma cannot build good lenses
: : --- only that they don't do that consistently enough for comfort.
:
: How many Sigma lenses have you ever owned, Wolfgang? How good
: were they?
:
: I shall refer you to lensrentals.com, who have owned *many* dozen.
:
: Another 1 or 3 or 10 lenses from me doesn't make a difference
: to statistics. Just as one lottery winner doesn't mean every
: ticket wins the main price.

In other words, none. I thought as much.

Since I suppose you'll ask, or assume, my wife and I own four of them. Are
they the best lenses we own? No. But all have been a very good value for the
money.

four lenses is nothing.

lensrentals has *hundreds* of sigma lenses. dozens *each* of nearly
every model sigma lens made.

well they used to, until they found out that sigma lenses had horrific
failure rates, as high as 90% (really). many of them failed out of the
box, before they were even rented to anyone. worse, sigma gave the a
runaround to get them fixed, blaming lensrentals for breaking them.
there was a lengthy blog on their website about it.

now they only carry sigma lenses if there's no alternative from another
manufacturer.

I once tried a Sigma lens, and I think I posted the result. the short of
the story is that Sigma tried to convince me that the lens mount on my
Nikon, was out of spec. A bad lens can happen to any manufacturer, but
the indifference to reality turned me off Sigma. I later tried other
Sigma lenses without issue, except a strong reluctance to trust them.

--
Peter