Old November 14th 04, 10:52 PM
Alain

In article , says...
Hi. I need some help. I want to get a small
point and shoot digital camera, but I am concerned
about the shutter lag. Please do not recommend a
DSLR, as I have a Canon 1D Mark II and 10D cameras
and plenty of lenses to go with them. I'm looking
for something small, some specs that are important
to me:

5 megapixels or larger,
auto, manual, aperture priority modes,
3x optical zoom minimum, with autofocus,
built in flash,
compact flash I (and type II would be nice) cards,
under about $500,
reasonably low shutter lag for this type of camera.

Nice but not necessary: raw mode output.

The question is, what is a reasonably low shutter
lag on such cameras these days? I can't seem to find
many specs. Lag only seems to be mentioned rarely
in reviews, and the manufacturers do not seem to
give it. Does someone know of a site (especially a
table that compares the lag times, measured in a uniform
way) with lag times? I want lag time from shutter press,
autofocus, exposure calculation to release of the shutter,
and I do not consider lag time with manual focus to be
relevant for my purposes.

I have a Canon G1 and shutter lag is awful. It often seems
to take 0.5 to 1 second or longer to acquire focus and shoot.
(Of course this is quite maddening after using the 1D Mark II
with its 40 millisecond lag ;-).

One camera that I am looking at is the Canon A95, but I
can not find shutter lag info. It also only uses
compact flash type I.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Roger
photography, digital info at:
http://www.clarkvision.com

Not really what you're specs are but you could also look at the
KonicaMinolta G530 or (G500 or G600). The shutter lag is almost
unnoticable after focus. No CF card, but SD...
Also quite a nr of manual setting possible, no RAW output.

Alain